On this chilly spring morning I decided to start the day off being more intentional about breakfast as I leave for work at quarter to three and don’t get off until later on in the evening. Usually I eat brunch on the go and that’s enough until suppertime, but with today’s schedule, I wanted to feel fuller throughout the day. Hence this morning’s breakfast.
Everything here are pantry ingredients minus the banana. I’m not a big oatmeal fan, but the coconut products added great flavour and texture to the oatmeal. It’s not the most nutritious oatmeal (steel-cut seems to be better), but with time constraints, lack of sugar, and bran content, it filled me up for longer than cereal would. Although coconut is supposed to be very healthy, I’m not sure how much of its nutrients are retained in the powdering process. That said, my small box of coconut milk powder has lasted for over a year and served as a delicious base for many Thai curries. 🙂
Apart from the oatmeal itself, the banana added a nice amount of fibre and protein to start the day. The delicious spread of chunky peanut butter was a definite plus, which served as a second breakfast for snacking on afterwards. Remember to make a cup of hot tea besides 🙂
See below for ingredients – Serves 1:
– 1/4 cup large flake oats
– 1/2 cup water
– 1/8 cup coconut milk powder
– 1/4 cup boiling water
– 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
– 1/2 banana sliced
– 2 dates
– 1/2 banana (whole) + peanut butter
1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to boil and cook oats in a pan. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Pour contents into a bowl, mix in shredded coconut.
5. Slice in half a banana, top with dates
6. Spread peanut butter over remaining half of banana