This easy mac & cheese dish took about 15min hands-on time and 20min oven time. Two friends – Josh and Nathan, and I threw this together as a four person meal, and were we stuffed! It was good stuff – worth the wait, creamy and crispy at the same time.
After ogling at several people’s mac and cheese and two cookbook versions, I decided to try it. Everyone said it was easier than it looked. The only time consuming part is grating the cheese (if you’re slow and want a decent amount of cheese), but with three people working on it, we whipped it up pretty quick.
This is what we used for 4 generous servings (these are all approximations since we just eyeballed it):
– 230 grams macaroni
– approx. 2 cups strong cheddar
– small amount of jarlsberg (as topping)
– 2.5 cups milk
– 2 heaping tbsp butter
– 3 tbsp flour
– 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
– pinch of salt
– pinch of pepper
– 1 tsp red pepper flakes
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tsp minced garlic
– bread crumbs
This is what we did:
1. Preheated the oven at 375F
2. Josh boiled the macaroni
3. Nathan melted the butter in a skillet, added milk, added flour, and stirred, to keep milk from burning and flour from clumping.
4. I grated cheese, then added it to the sauce
5. Once the macaroni was cooked, we drained it, and added it to the milk sauce. Then we added all the spices (I went a little nutmeg happy by accident.. it turned out fine though!)
6. Once all that was mixed together, we poured it into an oiled casserole dish, sprinkled bread crumbs all over the top, added some jarlsberg (thanks Ben!) and baked it for 20 minutes.
It was delicious. I tried it a second time round with EXTRA pepper and EXTRA red pepper flakes. Don’t do this. Refrain from doing this. Add extra at the end if you like. It ended up being too spicy… 😦 and I like spice!