This deliciousness was inspired by my dear friend Rebecca (you can check out her thoughtful blog here), who had tried sweet chili Thai sauce with chicken first. As soon as she told me about it, I knew it would be a delightful match for the tastes. This is, quite literally, the easiest from scratch pizza in the world. I used chicken slices, shaved from drumsticks from a previous meal and extra potatoes from that same meal, chopped in halves. They were already seasoned, so putting this together was a snap.
Serves 2 (or 4 servings if you save half the pizza for a lighter lunch the next day)
– Pizza dough – store bought or homemade (use a quarter of the dough in this recipe)
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1-2 chicken drumsticks, skin removed, cooked
– A few cubes of potatoes, cooked
– 1/4 bell pepper
– 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
– 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for brushing)
– 1/2 – 1 cup medium cheddar, grated (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 485F.
2. Roll the dough out into a circle. Brush olive oil over a heavy bottomed pan, baking dish, or cast iron skillet. Place the dough circle onto one of the above, and brush vegetable oil on top of the dough. Brushing oil on the base and on top of your pizza crust creates a crispier finish, which is ideal for thin crusted pizzas.
3.. Heat up a little oil in a small frying pan, and fry up the onions. In the meantime, slice the chicken, halve the potatoes, and julienne the bell pepper.
4. Brush sweet chili sauce over pizza base, then place toppings on top in a decorative fashion.
6..Add 1/2 cup or 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese if desired. I added a sprinkle of cheese and was told it would be much better with more cheese. It was still very tasty, so if you want to go dairy free, that is completely fine, the flavors are more than adequate.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Watch for burning (you can put aluminium foil over the top if it’s browning too quickly, though I just skip that step since it just singed the edges slightly for me, which was fine.
Eat hot! The sweet chili sauce caramelizes quite a bit in the heat, an added happy surprise!